Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Memorial Day

Memorial Day was so wonderful this year. I realized how amazing my ancestors were and how amazing my life is to live in the blest country and have servicemen fight for my freedom. I watched some documentaries about D-Day and am amazed at the bravery. I recently re-found this photo of my paternal Grandfather, Robert Dee Jaynes. He served as a pilot in World War II. He flew a C-47 and DC-3 cargo plane. He took both soliders and dropped them off as well as needed supplies. The movie 'A Bridge too Far' is about one of the battles he fought in; the movie contains some real footage and it's very possible it's my Grandfather. Hill Air Force base had invited him multiple times to visit the museum and get into the cockpit of one models he flew. His health always prevented him. Finally we gathered together and visited. They made special efforts to unlock the plane and allow him to sit in the pilot seat. I always appreciated the times when he told about his experiences and how he overcame hard things. His funeral featured nine of his ten children bearing their testimonies about Jesus Christ, the Book of Mormon and the Gospel. It's what he wanted; that if he had taught his children anything it would be about the gospel. I love this picture of him. 
He was always interested in History and worked so hard to do family history and prepare names for the Temple. I have fond memories of smelling the roses in his lovely garden, eating rhubarb, homemade strawberry ice cream, watching him complete countless puzzles and just listening to him speak.
Remembering the family I come from and the family I am surrounded with now was the perfect way to celebrate the holiday. We had a fun filled barbeque with the Finch's that included some water fighting and lots of giggles. 
Sunday we gathered at my parents house to christen the new smoker. My Dad made the most amazing pork and we had lovely food. It was a beautiful day for a Croquette tournament and Team Dad and Mom took home the prize bucket. The Mr. and I wanted to win so bad! Maybe next time!

 Happy Memorial Day to All!

No comments:

Post a Comment