Thursday, April 12, 2012

Do you Doodle? I do.

Do you doodle? I am constantly sketching/doodleing. On envelopes, receipts, anywhere, all the time. It's like a nervous tick-but I really thinks it helps me concentrate sometimes. I always like to be doing something. Sure, reading a magazine or cereal box will suffice but most of the time i'm doodleing-from table settings to party themes and decor. Most of the time, like 99% of the time, i'm drawing and arranging home decor. Usually I draw rooms over and over again in my many "someday" houses and rooms.
Although I'm reluctant to show my artist of a husband my sketches and preface them by saying "They're just ideas" I am always showing Mr. Finch my rough doodles. "Look Babe" I say, "I rearranged this family room. What do you think about this table I thought of? If our room looked like this, would you like it? Look how cool and functional this would be!"  And always he pays attention, compliments my efforts and encourages me.

Below are some someday "Sketches" and floorplans (I love these too). They're terrible as far as drawing goes. Nothing is to scale, there's probably 50 different perspective points and i'm sure I miss crucial details like legs on tables that should be visible. It's my hobby. Doodeling.

The Living Room/Study: This would be used as a sitting room/study. One of the rooms my family spends the most time in is my parent's library. I probably won't ever have just a library but hopefully this cozy setup would help future kids read books, complete homework and enjoy some time away from the TV. I'd do this space in a home with a formal living room. I don't think i'd use a formal living room much, I don't feel like anyone really does besides occasional visits from home and visiting teachers. This way I feel like it has function and purpose.


Family Room: The one thing i'd want in an ideal family room is lots of seating. Enough for everyone, including family and friends. Yes I realize a room would have to be fairly large to accomodate this many pieces of furniture but remember, these are "someday" ideas. In the very left corner, see that butler stand, I want one so badly.

Entry: I want my home to be welcoming and I think for quick visits, putting on shoes, signing a quick paper/note for a neighbor you need room to do that. I love the idea of a little settee plus I added some pullout stools under this table for additional "put shoes on" chairs. While not recognizable I'd love the art work near the front of my home to reflect what means most to us. Like a large picture of Christ, the temple, and all those small framed family portraits. Funny note: The little pillow on the settee: It's Mr. Finch's and mine's wedding day. Originally I wrote the 31st, because I always think of it as the last day of July. Mr. Finch smiled and reminded me. Good thing a 1 can easily become a 0.
Sketches, doodles, drawings-whatever these are called I do them all the time. They are my creative outlet. I keep them in a little folder. Someday they'll be applied. Doodle? I do.

3 comments:

  1. Those are incredible!!! I'm lucky if I can make a stick figure look good :) I think it's fantastic that you have so many cute ideas for your home. I'm always asking advice from people like you to help me put a room together. I may be calling you in the near future (well...distant since we won't be getting a house for a very long time).

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great!! Nice use of space and love all the details...Always good to have a plan! Anytime you want to re-arrange furniture...I am in..so fun!! ;) Doodle away girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! You are totally an artist!

    ReplyDelete